Sunday, August 23, 2009

DON'T BE TAKEN IN

I normally view certain Blogs and sources on the internet for news as well as opinion. There are some sites that have been completely trustworthy in portraying news and information correctly and they have proven themselves to me. But, be careful, because some who I have trusted, may be wrong or will provide misinformation. I expect some types of whimsey on special days such as the First of April, and expect to see some good humored fun.

Recently yesterday, a local Blog that provides news of my locale, Gila County AZ provided a link to a UTube video in which the announcer described with a witness how deranged and misguided the Weather Channel is by preferentially talking about the weather (as if it were wrong). Further investigation showed the blog had included a "funny" story from "The Onion" but failed to warn anyone about the nature of the content. Review of entries at onion.com showed it to be a spoof website with many whimsical stories (President is a Bipolar, etc).

I was nearly taken in by this but, fortunately for me, I did some further investigation. The moral of this Blog entry is: Don't believe everything you see or hear on the internet, and be certain to check and verify stories through independent means. BTW, SNOPES is not unbiased or independent (left leaning), and in some cases not very diligent about checking facts; so be careful.

One other outcome is that I am now quite hesitant to believe anything I see on the Blog that spoofed me, which is sad since I really trusted it to provide me with good local news.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Bill--

I suspect you are referring to me (No Static) in this post. Since I spent many years at a local radio station and my blog was associated with the station, I guess it's only natural to assume my current blog is still traditional news.

I am trying something different: mostly positive news, where local community events and projects are more important than police arrests and politics. It is perhaps more a magazine about local and world culture than a traditional news blog. I am still experimenting and looking for the right formula--and I have lost readers--but I firmly believe there is a place for such a publication.

The Onion's Weather Channel bit is funny because it is so much like a "real" cable news story. It fooled me for a minute,too. But you will noticed that I have featured other entertainment oriented videos mixed with regular posts. To have posted a disclaimer would have ruined it, and anyone who watches the video all the way through will know it's not "real."

In my heart I can't believe anyone would stop trusting the community announcements because I also like to post fun stuff.

I hope you continue reading my blog and I would sincerely welcome comments and suggestions (other than going back to a strictly tradional "hard" news approach. There are already plenty of places to get that.)

Roland Foster

9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Bill Curley said...

I am quite amazed that you found my Blog much less commented to me directly. Rather than amazed, I do feel honored by your comments. Be assured that I shall continue to read your "stuff" but, will continue with the caution that I have advocated.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home